If IV sedation will be used for your procedure, then it is important to follow these specific instructions before your appointment:
- Do not eat or drink anything (including water) for six (6) hours before the appointment. If your appointment is in the afternoon, then you can eat something 7 hours before the appointment, but the diet should be restricted to only toast and juice. For anesthesia safety, your stomach must be empty during anesthesia.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. We strongly recommend to stop smoking as soon as possible or cut down the frequency of smoking before the procedure.
- The patient must be accompanied by a responsible adult. This adult needs to remain in the office during the surgery, then drive the patient home and provide care. We cannot send patients home in a cab or other forms of public transportation.
- After anesthesia, the patient should not drive or operate machinery for 24 hours.
- Please wear loose-fitting clothing, short sleeves, and low-heeled shoes to the appointment.
- Remove jewelry, earrings, contact lenses, and dentures before the surgery.
- Notify the office 2–3 days before the surgery if you have an illness such as a sore throat, cold, or upset stomach.
- If you use routine oral medications, then talk to our office before your surgical date for specific instructions regarding the use of these medications on the day of your surgery. Some of the medications might need to be taken on the morning of the surgery.