Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for six (6) hours prior to the appointment. If you need to eat something 7 hours prior to surgery, your diet should be restricted to only toast or juice,but nothing else. Anesthesia safety requires that your stomach be empty during anesthesia.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home and to care for them. We cannot send the patient home with a cab driver.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with short sleeves and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, earrings and dentures must be removed prior to surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish if possible on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, upset of the stomach or bowel, please notify the office 2-3 days prior to surgery.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Drs. Blecha and Jandali’s office prior to your surgical date for instructions as to taking these medications prior to surgery. We may want you to take some of these medications on the morning of surgery.