Dental implants have become known as the best and most natural-looking tooth-replacement system available on the market. Because of this, Drs. Jandali and Hur see more and more Naperville men and women each year who are interested in learning more about them.
Before you choose to have dental implants placed, one of the most important things you should understand is the healing process. After all, if you do not allow yourself to recover properly, you could experience complications or end up with less than ideal results.
Dental implants are small titanium screws that are placed directly into the jawbone. These screws function like natural tooth roots and eventually bond (or fuse) to the jawbone, making them a permanent tooth-replacement system. More than that, the benefits that patients in Naperville experience are plentiful. Dental implants:
- Are aesthetically pleasing
- Are comfortable
- Are cost-effective, as they will not need to be replaced multiple times within one’s lifetime
- Preserve the facial profile
- Don’t slip or slide about the mouth like dentures
- Protect adjacent teeth, as they don’t rely on surrounding teeth for support like bridges
- Do not require dietary restrictions
- Are easy to care for
Healing Process for Dental Implants
Because every patient in Naperville is different, and every treatment plan varies, there is no one-size-fits-all answer to how long the healing process will take for your dental implants procedure. However, what is important is the way you handle your recovery and the steps you take, as directed by Drs. Jandali and Hur.
After the placement of your dental implants, be sure to adhere to the following aftercare instructions:
- Follow dietary restrictions. In the days immediately following your dental implants surgery, Drs. Jandali and Hur will recommend a soft food diet. You should avoid chewing directly on the implant areas, and instead push the food to the opposite side of your mouth. Avoid drinking through straws and spitting for at least 5 days after your procedure to allow your implants to stabilize.
- No smoking. To ensure you’re able to heal quickly and properly, it’s important that you avoid the use of any tobacco products for at least 2 weeks after the placement of your dental implants. If you choose to smoke or use tobacco, you could experience complications or dental implant failure.
- Do not exercise. It is important that you avoid exercising for at least 3-5 days following your procedure. Additionally, do not lift anything over 15 pounds.
- Practice proper oral hygiene, as directed. While you will be able to brush your surrounding teeth carefully after your surgery, only use the prescribed Chlorhexidine rinse and swab the dental implants areas with a Q-tip until you return for your post-op appointment.
- Take prescribed medications as directed. If Drs. Jandali and Hur prescribed antibiotics after the placement of your dental implants, be sure to take them as prescribed until you finish the entire prescription.
So long as you follow the aftercare instructions provided by your oral surgeon, you should expect your dental implants to be healed and fused to your jawbone within 3-6 months. If you experience any complications, be sure to contact the office as soon as possible.
Call Today to Learn More
To schedule your initial dental implants consultation, call Oral and Facial Surgery of Naperville today at (630) 961-5151. With years of experience and commitment to utilizing only the latest technique and technologies, Drs. Jandali and Hur are able to provide patients with amazing results with minimal downtime.